Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Emma's Egg Nog

As always, the holidays have snuck up again. This Autumn was a blur that included travel to London, then Singapore and before I knew it temperatures were dropping and it was time for holiday shopping. There has been no shortage of discovering new places to eat, and I promise in the New Year I'll write about the restaurants I visited this fall.
But right now, I want to take a moment during the holiday frenzy to remember Christmas' past by sharing the recipe for Emma's Egg Nog.
The first time I tasted it was after a Christmas morning foxhunt. I had arrived at my best friend's home for her infamous English Christmas Dinner of smoked salmon, roasted potatoes, turkey, Yorkshire pudding, roasted parsnips...oh the menu goes on and on!!! Still dressed in my boots, breeches and hunt coat with my hair mashed down from riding cap, I was handed a punch cup straight away as I walked in the front door. It was full of the fluffy, rich, decadent, dessert goodness I came to know as Emma's Egg Nog. And just like the holidays, this recipe WILL sneak up on you!
1 pint Bourbon
1 pint Dark Rum
6 eggs separated
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 pints whipping cream
1 pint whole milk
nutmeg, cinnamon, all spice
Whisk egg yolks and sugar until fluffy. Slowly add alcohol. In a separate blow, whisk egg whites. In another bowl, whisk cream until fluffy. Fold all three bowls together, add spices to taste and milk. Sprinkle top with fresh grated nutmeg and Cinnamon.

No comments: